Re: `linux debug' causing hang when Lilo is to be run.

On Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 06:49:26AM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  The `syslog()' call is where the highlight bar is shown; that's where
>  it calls into libc, in the above trace.  I don't know why it hangs
>  there; it calls `execlog()' quite a number of times through the
>  install, and it works up until now...
>
>  I rebooted again, without the debug switch, and verified that
>  everything seems to work fine without it.  It runs `lilo' fine, and
>  reboots normally, &c.

Hmm.  I don't have access to my boot-floppies source tree from home (I'll be at
work in about an hour), but it sounds like the syslog is never beging flushed.
Does the logging code in dbootstrap do something like:

    openlog("dbootstrap", 0, LOG_USER);
    syslog(LOG_USER|LOG_INFO, theMessage);
    closelog();
?

>  Another reboot later, going through to the point where it hangs, what
>  I found was that `logger' wasn't printing to the log on vt3 right
>  away either...  but after I killed `cardmgr', I got a huge dump to
>  the log, the `logger' test message I'd typed several minutes earlier,
>  AND `dbootstrap' continued, ran Lilo, and it's sitting there now
>  wondering if I'm mad at it.
>
>  The log on vt3 looks like there was a bunch of stuff buffered from
>  both `dbootstrap' and the `logger' commands I tried.  After I killed
>  the `cardmgr', it all dumped, even though `cardmgr' was able to log
>  all along, and it's logs showed up right away.
>
>  I wonder if `dbootstrap' is just blocking???  Erik?  Could there be
>  an error in the `syslogd' of busybox that would cause this to occur?
>  Or is it `syslog()'?  What might it be?  You tell me and we'll both
>  know.

Very odd indeed.  I'll take a look...

 -Erik

--