Re: [pcmcia] ".unconfigured" kills `depmod -a'.

>  There is a file ".unconfigured" in the PCMCIA modules directory that
>  causes `depmod -a' to fail, and thus the `modconf' to fail.  Who is
>  responsible for that file being in there?

boot floppies is. .unconfigured is part of the modules.tgz that we build.

after you configure pcmcia and activate it, the file is removed. given the
depmod behavior you described below, we probably should remove that file
altogether, or move it to /root/.pcmcia.unconfigured or something like that.

>  symbol errors.  It may be that the pcmcia modules package I made
>  didn't really match the kernel-image package I made after
>  all... (probably).

this is not a modconf problem, this is a packaging problem. I'll talk to
Brian Mays. I think we need a new pcmcia modules package for the new compact
kernel.

>  Anyway, after that I `rm -rf pcmcia' and ran `depmod -a' agian, then
>  switched back to vt1 and selected "Configure modules" again.  It
>  failed again with the same error, "device or resource busy".  I
>  switched back to vt2, and ran `modprobe ne', and got the same error
>  again.  (I think I had to use `dmesg' to read the error.)  Now I ran
>  `modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=10', and it worked.  I had used the same
>  arguments in `modconf', so all of this leads me to believe that
>  `modconf' is NOT passing the arguments entered in the dialog box on
>  to the `modprobe' command it ostensibly executes.  I have NOT looked
>  to see for myself yet.

There should be a file in /etc/modutils/<module name> (/etc/modutils/ne in
your example) that has the options you entered. is it not there? What does
it say?

>  I want it to know that this is an ethernet driver, and that the
>  arguments I give in the dialog need to be written out to
>  "/target/etc/modutils/$driver_name" as an "options $driver_name ..."

what does it put there now?

>  line.  Then I want it to write a file called
>  "/target/etc/modutils/ethernet-aliases", and put "alias eth0
>  $driver_name" in there.  If I configure a second ethernet card by
>  inserting another module, I want it to alias that one to "eth1", &c.

please file a wishlist bug against modconf for this.

>  In "/etc/modules", it should put a line in for "eth0", calling it by
>  the alias, rather than by the $driver_name.  After it finishes, it
>  needs to call on `update-modules' to build the "/etc/modules.conf"
>  file.

it *does* call update-modules already.

>  "Configure the Network" already asks you which interface to
>  configure, I found.  I don't think it loops for the second
>  interface... (cannot recall if it did.)  It ought to, just as a
>  convienience.

Karl, most of these are good comments/suggestions, but realistically I'll be
happy if we concentrate on fixing actual *bugs* for now. There are certainly
still bugs in modconf (which, by the way, is separate from boot floppies.
It's not clear from your message if you realize this already). I'll try to
fix bugs as they are filed, but I need more specific info... exact error
messages that you see, etc.

At least some of these problems come from the fact that the .unconfigured
file is not removed. There also seems to be a race condition in modconf that
i need to fix (doing that now)

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>