Re: 24MB bootable CD install image

> Ian> The reason is, the boot-floppies kernel images aren't all the same, and
> Ian> don't all work on various machines. For example, my own box at home is an
> Ian> Athlon 500 on a Gigabyte MB (AMD chipset) with EIDE (no SCSI); certainly
> Ian> the slink boot kernels had problems (CD 1 (default?) doesn't boot, CD 2
> Ian> (compact?) locks up if you leave it alone for a few minutes).
>
>  Do you have a configuration that works with it?  Perhaps we can
>  generate a `flavor' set for it.  I imagine the Athlon's are getting
>  fairly popular.

Good news! I made a "small" CD image yesterday using Mark Horn's ~24Mb
technique from (my local mirror's copy of) the potato boot disks v2.2.7 -
and it booted up perfectly on my Athlon at home! Yippee!

I was not able to test the full install, however, because all the modems
at work were busy when I tried to dial in (it's only a 33.6k modem anyway,
I think I'll wait until I have potato on CD). It did install the base and
drivers fine, and rebooted (using a boot floppy) etc. It then got all
confused when apt couldn't talk to the mirror. :-)

Ian
Ian Bailey-Mortimer <mortian@astracon.com.au>  <_><