Documentation plea

The documentation seems to be coming together nicely, but I want to
highlight one section where more guidance really is necessary: the driver
configuration.

There are drivers for almost everything.  The question is whether loading
the drivers is necessary to get basic functionality.  In particular:

* reading CD-ROM
* parallel and serial ports
* sound (is it my imagination, or are there a couple of competing sound
models?)

>From past experience and past install guides I know most of these things
aren't necessary, but there's almost no guidance.  Older versions had some
kind of statement like "most things will work without the loadable
drivers." I don't know if that's still the case. The statement that only
things essential for install are needed is very helpful, but info on the
other matters would be good too.   Most people want to use their system for
more than installing itself!  Newbies are likely to throw up their hands in
despair here (well, OK, they probably would have done so earlier...).

I know I and others have filed bugs or wishlist items about the docs.  So
the purpose of this message is two-fold
1) to provide some specifics of areas on which to concentrate
2) to urge the importance of such matters.