Re: 24MB bootable CD install image

> All told, I burned 5 CD's that didn't work and two that did.

Hehe.. drinks coasters? Or did you use a CD-RW? :)

> Thoughts?  Comments?

Excellent! Well done. I've been thinking of trying to do this myself
for a while. Last time I tried it, I couldn't figure out which bits of
the boot-floppies were actually needed.

One other thing worth doing is documenting how to change the boot kernel.
It's just a syslinux floppy, so it isn't very hard, but there are some
symlinks (I found) that need to be added if the kernel version is different,
and I couldn't get the drivers section to work (maybe because the kernel
version is different?).

The reason is, the boot-floppies kernel images aren't all the same, and
don't all work on various machines. For example, my own box at home is an
Athlon 500 on a Gigabyte MB (AMD chipset) with EIDE (no SCSI); certainly
the slink boot kernels had problems (CD 1 (default?) doesn't boot, CD 2
(compact?) locks up if you leave it alone for a few minutes).

Ian
Ian Bailey-Mortimer <mortian@astracon.com.au>  <_><