pre-2.2.8 report

I think we are almost ready to release 2.2.8 boot floppies.

A few things I noticed on my install last night, most of these have
already been reported.

***) on reboot, it dies while trying to invoke debconf because of the
     kbd/console-tools mess. This needs to be fixed :)

***) when installing over the network (or via CD, apparently) the image names
     that dbootstrap is looking for doesn't correspond to the real names
     (rescue-2.2.14-compact.bin vs rescue.bin). The simplest thing to do is
     to create the appropriate symlinks in the release tree.

***) rebooting from dbootstrap doesn't work. karlheg and i looked at this a
     bit. It seems to be busybox related. Maybe it is not finding the init
     pid correctly. doing a kill 1 on tty2 works

 **) inside dbootstrap, when i am configuring base, (e.g. at the timezone
     screen) if i click cancel, it goes back to the main screen, but thinks
     that i've finished that step. i'm not sure if this is very intuitive...

  *) during base-config, i ran into a problem with the install (using
     tasksel) because i didn't have enough disk space. base-config offers to
     retry the install, but doesn't let me redo my selections, which doesn't help
     me in this case. I'm not sure there is a way to fix this though.

On a positive note, I think we've beat the lilo/mbr issue to death.
The new lilo.conf that dbootstrap writes is very informative. netconfig
(after fixing the symlinks) works flawlessly (it was a bit patchy, but that
may be because of network connectivity issues). base-config is very slick.

good job everyone!! and special thanks to karlheg for working with me on the
test last night.

randolph
--
   @..@                                         http://www.TauSq.org/