Boot kernel hangs

Dear Debian boot-floppy gurus,

I have just tried and failed to install Debian 2.1R4, from the two CD
set.  I regard myself as a moderately experienced Unix user, but
certainly not a system hacker.

I have a new computer (AMD K7 based, ASUS motherboard) with two hard
drives, Win98 on one.  I wish to install Linux on the other.  I have
two IDE controllers:
1st controller: both hard drives
2nd controller: primary CD-ROM, secondary IDE Zip drive 100Mb.

The problem is that when the Linux kernel boots up, it hangs up sfter
I get the message
  DC390: 0 adapters found

Whatever probing the kernel does at this point has a strange effect:
when I reboot the machine, the BIOS pauses when it reaches the Zip
drive, and eventually reports
  Sec slave drive - ATAPI incompatible.
After that it will not boot into Win98 even.

I actually have to turn off the power (not just press the reset
button) to clear this.

I tried booting up with
  linux reserve=<lots of parameters>

I used Win98 to find out the I/O ports and I blocked out the ports for
just about every device on my system, including the second IDE
controller and the video card.  I also added the aic7xxx=no_probe
parameter.  It didn't help - still hung at the same place.

(I realise that I can have only five argument pairs per statement, so
I needed three "reserve" statements altogether.)

I have an IWill 2936UW SCSI controller, which I don't need during the
installation process (it only has a CD writer attached to it) and a
D-Link DE-528CT ethernet card, which I also don't need during the
installation process.  My video card is an AOpen PA3020 (RIVA TNT2
chipset). I do not have an internal modem.

I am reluctant to pull a lot of cards out of my system at this stage,
as I need Win98 working, and I am not 100% confident of being able to
put it all back properly again.

I have found that I _can_ boot using a SuSE Linux CD-ROM.  I even
tried making a Debian boot floppy, and then replacing the Debian
kernel with the kernel from a SuSE boot floppy, but that failed: the
kernel booted but then failed to mount the root file system:
  kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:03
I don't know what this means - maybe the SuSE kernel expects a
different file system type here?

By the way, I tried booting from the 2nd CD (tecra kernel) but it
still hung after the nmessage
  DC390: 0 adapters found

I have used Debian before and would like to continue using it.  Is
there any way I can turn off the bad probing, or is there a
simpler boot kernel (e.g. one with no SCSI or ethernet support, and a
lot less probing)?  Or should I just give up and convert to SuSE?

Gordon Monro
G.Monro@maths.usyd.edu.au