advansys scsi problem

hi !

the potato boot disk doesn't work well with my Advansys pci ultra scsi 3 card.
The kernel boot well, detect the SCSI card but none of the 3 devices connected
is found.
the scsi driver when it loads first scan the first slot of the scsi bus then
tells me that the operation is stopped because of timeout, after he does the
same thing with all the others devices.
I tested kernel 2.2.x with this card and they work well.
I tried boot disks from others distro (suse) and they're ok but all the
potato boot disks fail.
I managed to use the boot disk after have replaced the kernel by a recompilated
one.
My SCsi devices are ibm hd, plextor 32x reader, plextor 8x writter.
Tell me if you want more explanations, i'm busy but i can take the time
to answer all question.

thank.

P.S. sorry for the mistakes, i'm french