Re: TERM defaults to linux even on serial console (where vt102 would be more appropriate)

Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 11:09:27PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> > Erik Andersen wrote:

> > > Does the version now in CVS look agreeable?
> >
> > Well, I'd rather like to let the user a chance to overwrite TERM at boot time.
> >
> > However it seems there still is a problem:  when I pass TERM=vt100 at boot
> > time, kernel is calling the first program with the following environment:
> > HOME=/
> > TERM=linux
> > TERM=vt100
> >
> > There are two TERM lines ;((
> > It appears that init is getting the former while, when booting directly to
> > /bin/sh, sh is getting the latter.  Therefore init ignores any TERM=xxx passed
> > to kernel command line.  It always deals with TERM=linux ;(
> >
> > Should I file a bug against the kernel itself?  Or could the bug be fixed in
> > getenv()?
>
> Hmm,  I'm not sure, but the kernel would be a good place to start.

Ok, I filed a bug to the BTS against kernel-source-2.2.14 (it's #58566).
Hope it would be fixed some day.
Btw, I guess it's not release critical because your init is now working as
desired when TERM is not overwritten by user.

> > Nevertheless, could you add the next fix, please?
>
> Ok, applied.

Thanks.

Regards.

--
 Eric Delaunay                 | S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y
 delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr | a pas de problème.   Devise Shadok.