Re: package selection problems (Re: boot floppies 2.2.7 available for testing)

[ i'm not on deb-boot, so cc me with replies ]

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> > Because I have no cd, wasn't currently dialed in, and don't have a local
> > mirror :-)  I put the settings that would work when I do dialin.  (The
> > phone is currently tied up with this, and it didn't even offer to setup
> > ppp when I configured the network card.)
>
> I see. dbootstrap is supposed to set a variable if you tell it to use PPP,
> and then base-config will prompt you if you want to dial up before that
> configuration happens. It sounds like dbootstrap never gave you a chance to
> set up ppp during the initial install. If that's so, it sounds like you may
> have hit a bug in the boot floppies. I don't know when/where they prompt
> about setting up ppp, though..

It's not a big deal to me, I know to run pppconfig.  I assume it's because
I configured an ethernet card that it skipped ppp.  With more people using
cheap network card/hub setups at home, we may want to prompt for this
anyway.  I didn't check to see if it was a menu option, and I wasn't using
verbose, so maybe it's already taken care of.  My point was that you must
cancel a valid apt config if the mirror isn't currently available.  A
minor nuisance at most.

> > > That's quite odd since it just runs dselect.
> >
> > Very odd.  It will also take a while to replicate (spending 10 minutes
> > feeding floppies, another 10 answering questions, and watching it think or
> > reboot for another 10, for a "switching to runlevel 6" message that lasts
> > a few seconds).
>
> When it boots up and starts asking for the root password, flip over to vc 2,
> long in as root (no password), and run
> "DEBCONF_DEBUG=1 dpkg-reconfigure base-config". This may provide some useful
> information.

I'll try that next time.

Brandon

    Brandon Mitchell  *  http://public.surfree.com/bmitch