Multi-session CD's readable for installation?

I have burned some of the potato archive onto a CD, and am considering
burning some more onto the same disk.
This would make it a multisession CD.  I don't know if debian can handle
that at any time,
particularly in the early install stages.

Mostly I'm thinking of this as a source for packages, which would mean I'd
access it relatively late in
the installation, after drivers are loaded and (I think) after the regular
base system takes over.

I might also want to use it as a source for base2_2.tgz, and possibly other
files.

Is such a disk readable at either stage?  Does it require a special driver?
Ordinarily I need no special driver to see my CD's, which are IDE/ATAPI.
What I'm aiming for is making the contents of all sessions available, not
just the last one.  It's fine if duplicate file names in later sessions
conceal earlier sessions' copy of the same file.

I've been assuming the ability to work with such a disc depends on the
driver.  If it depends on the program (e.g., apt), please let me know.  (I
know I need to use apt-cdrom).