Re: Hardware detection program

We are very interested in hardware detection programs, even though
these probably won't make it into to the upcoming potato release.

However, it is sad that all the the programs right now have taken
place on the distribution level and not on the general linux level.
We believe that rather than having a Debian-specific system, it would
be better to have a general system.

Thus, if you do base your system on debconf -- well, that is a
delightful idea but maybe it would mean that the software can only be
used on Debian systems.  Wouldn't it be possible to implement the core
system in a distro-independant way?