Re: 2.2.6 keymap problem...

Hi, Joey. thank you for your advice.

Please let me ask you some questions.

In article <[🔎] 20000204094346.B8848@kitenet.net>,
  at Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:43:46 -0800,
    on Re: 2.2.6 keymap problem...,
 Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> > This shows 'console-data' and 'console-data\n' as owners,
> > somewhat strange. (debconf has similar "owner" lines, but all other
> > packages just have '<package>' only. no other '<package>\n' is there.
>
> The \n lines were caused by a debconf bug 3 or 4 months ago. As far as I
> know, that bug was fixed. Anyway, it's a redherring, the most such luines
> can do is prevent a value from being removed from the debconf database when
> a package is purged.

Then, these strange value does not cause the problem, I see.

But I found that "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" does not hold
the previous setting.

In /var/lib/debconf/debconf.db, there are

  }, 'Debian::DebConf::Question' ),
  'shared/keymap/layout' => bless( {
    'variables' => {
      'choices' => 'azerty, dvorak, fgGIod, qwerty, qwertz'
    },
    'name' => 'shared/keymap/layout',
    'flag_isdefault' => 'false',
    'template' => $templates{'shared/keymap/layout'},
    'value' => '',
    'owners' => {
      'console-data' => 1,
      'console-data
' => 1
    }

In this part, "'flag_isdefault' => 'false'" means that this question has
been answered, and not displayed on normal upgrade, I think. Is this OK ?

And I suppose that "'value' => ''," in this part also means that
the answer is the default one provided by the package. Am I wrong here ?

In this setting, "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" shows the dialog
with the "azerty" as the default layout.

I select "qwerty" at the prompt, and answer the rest questions,
but the "'value'" is not changed from "''". And when I do
"dpkg-reconfigure console-data" nexttime, the the dialog shows
the "azerty" as the default layout again.

Once I edit this part manually to set  "'value' => 'qwerty',"
then "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" show the "qwerty" as the default layout.

Is this the normal and right action for console-data ? I don't see why.

Other parts which is used by console-data, has all "'value' => '',"
and does not keep the previous answer when using dpkg-reconfigure.

  }, 'Debian::DebConf::Question' ),
  'shared/keymap/variant' => bless( {
    'name' => 'shared/keymap/variant',
    'variables' => {
      'choices' => ''
    },
    'flag_isdefault' => 'false',
    'template' => $templates{'shared/keymap/variant'},
    'value' => '',
    'owners' => {
      'console-data' => 1,
      'console-data
' => 1
    }

And more strangely, country setting is not set 'flag_isdefault' to false

  }, 'Debian::DebConf::Question' ),
  'shared/keymap/country' => bless( {
    'variables' => {
      'choices' => ''
    },
    'name' => 'shared/keymap/country',
    'flag_isdefault' => 'true',
    'template' => $templates{'shared/keymap/country'},
    'value' => '',
    'owners' => {
      'console-data' => 1,
      'console-data
' => 1
    }

I did select countries (USA and Japan) several times in the dialog
of "dpkg-reconfigure", but the 'flag_isdefault' in this part is
never set to "false". The previous selection is not hold here again.

When I manually edit the debconf.db to set my selection into these
"value", then dpkg-reconfigure keeps my setting.

I doubt the config script of console-data.

In /var/lib/dpkg/console-data.config, it seems that following part is
the code to select the setting.

 =====

# Do one level of user-querying.
# This is the heart of the hierarchical mechanism.
sub onelevel {
    my ($hash, $confvar, $prevState, $nextState) = @_;
    my ($code, $choice, $newState, $oldchoice);

    # get choices to be presented
    my @choices = sort {uc($a) cmp uc($b)} keys %$hash;
    # insert them in debconf variable definition, and ask
    my $choices = join (', ', @choices);
    subst ($confvar, 'choices', $choices);
    input ('high', $confvar);
    # memorize old choice
    ($code, $oldchoice) = get ($confvar);
    #
    ($code, undef) = go ();
    if ($code == 30) {  # "back"
        $newState = $prevState;
    } elsif ($code == 0) {
        (undef, $choice) = get ($confvar);
        $newState = $nextState;
    } else {
        die "go() returned unhandled code $code";
    }

    my $newchoice = {};
    my $changed = 0;
    if (defined $choice) {
        $newchoice = $hash->{$choice};
        $changed = ($choice ne $oldchoice);
    }

#    print "Choice: $newchoice, State: $newState\n";
    return ($newchoice, $newState, $changed);
}

 =====

  LOOP: while ($state != 99) {
      ($state == 0) && do {     # get_layout
          ($countriesRef, $state, $changed) =
              onelevel ($defs->{architems}, $defs->{levels}->[0], 0, 1);
#           if ($ret eq "back") {
#               previous_module;
#               exit;
#           }
          if ($changed) {
              reset $defs->{levels}->[1];
          }
          next LOOP;
      };

      ($state == 1) && do {     # get_country
          ($variantsRef, $state, $changed) =
              onelevel ($countriesRef, $defs->{levels}->[1], 0, 2);
          if ($changed) {
              reset $defs->{levels}->[2];
          }
          next LOOP;
      };

      ($state == 2) && do {     # get_variant
          (undef, $state, $changed) =
              onelevel ($variantsRef, $defs->{levels}->[2], 1, 99);

          if ($changed) {
              (undef, $variant) = get ($defs->{levels}->[2]);
              $keymapFilename = $variantsRef->{$variant};
              set ($defs->{output}, $keymapFilename);
          }
          next LOOP;
      };
  }
}

 =====

Is these section right ? I grep "input" in this file, the only one line
which has this word is

    input ('high', $confvar);

in the former part above. I feel something is missing in this file,
but I have not fully understand the debconf yet...

# I read the docs of debconf for the first time, to check this problem :)

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>