Re: Status of Potato?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> >My only harddrive is on a ServeRAID controller (by IBM).  At last check it
> >was setup as a module and not built into the kernel.  That just doesn't
> >work for me.  I'm sure there will be others who can't use a stock kernel
> >as well because of different hardware.
>
> Have you tried the 'compact' option?

Another day, another head in the brown paper bag.

The compact disks work.  My ServeRAID drive works on this machine.  Using
netfetch to get the kernel and drivers still hangs.  However, using the
compact kernel and drivers by floppy works.  Dhcp now fails again, I'll
wait for 2.2.6 to see if this gets fixed.  Netfetch for the base image
works fine.  On bootup LILO only shows LIL.  When I get a chance tomorrow,
I'll take a look at my lilo.conf to track this one down.  In the mean
time, I used the rescue floppy with root=/dev/sda3 (1 is /boot, 2 is
swap).  As expected, the partitions are unclean.  Apt config with http
works fine.  Task selection with a web connection seems to be working.
When I get in tomorrow I'll see how that has done.

So one bug and one my fault:
- compact disks downloading images via netfetch, maybe change the
filenames you are downloading or find out why it might hang getting
non-compact kernel and drivers

- LILO on my scsi hangs at LIL.  The docs say it's either a media error or
a geometry problem.  Could by the partition table or some other things I
guess (the raid software creates it's own partition).

Looks a lot better when I do a normal install.

Brandon

    Brandon Mitchell  *  http://public.surfree.com/bmitch
  bmitch@surfree.com  *  ICQ: 30631197