Re: critical syslog bugs in busybox prevent further dbootstrap work

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 12:54:56AM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Wed Jan 19, 2000 at 11:57:04PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >
> > Init is definately broken -- can we move the tail out of inittab and
> > back into rcS, please??!
> >
> > Also, syslog is utterly broken as well.  'logger foo' makes no entry
> > in /var/log/messages .
> >
> > There are a million bugs in dbootstrap but I've lost all my debugging
> > capabilities, so I can't even really work on things until this is
> > fixed.
>
> I've committed changes to inittab and rcS changes to revert syslogd to being
> started from rcS.  I can't seem to test it though, since my floppy drive seems
> to have just broken.  If you can test it, that would be nice. If not...  I'll
> try tomorrow at work.
>
> Hope this fixes things,

This wont fix it, and can't. I've found that the problem stems from how
and when the root fs is remounted read-write. We are going to have to make
init remount the root fs read-write, before it runs any of the scripts.
This is also causing the problem with the console and other tty's. Trying
to open up a device read/write, when the filesystem is read-only.

I will look at this tomorrow along with the new change-root patch.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '