Re: Static network configuration

On Sun Jan 09, 2000 at 11:24:05PM +0100, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Hi!
>
> netbase 3.16-1 introduced a new structure for configuring the network
> interfaces using /sbin/ifup and /etc/network/interfaces, however the boot
> floppies still create the static network configuration in
> /etc/init.d/network.
>
> I'm the maintainer of the Debian linuxconf package and have just written
> some code so that Linuxconf can now read the configuration from
> /etc/network/interfaces and also write back changes to this file (although
> it does not yet preserve comments added by the user). This is AFAIK
> currently the only possibility to configure the network using a GUI and
> thus the only easy way for beginners.
>
> What do you think about writing the static network configuration that the
> user entered during installation to /etc/network/interfaces instead of
> /etc/init.d/network? A patch to dbootstrap/netconfig.c is easy (I can
> commit these changes to CVS if you agree).

I'm very much in favor of this change. I first tried out the new
/etc/network/interfaces stuff last month, and it works very well.
The current /etc/init.d/network setup is horrible and it isn't even
compliant with the LSB init file actions proposal (i.e. no start, stop,
reload, etc).

I think this would be a great addition,

 -Erik

--