Re: base dependency warning

>>| 2.3.6. The base system
>>  ----------------------

>>|   The base system is a minimum subset of the Debian GNU/Linux
>>|   system that is installed before everything else on a new system.
>>|   Thus, only very few packages are allowed to go into the base
>>|   system to keep the required disk usage very small.

>>    Most of these packages should have the priority value `required'
>>    or at least `important', and many of them will be tagged
>>    `essential' (see below).

>>    You must not place any packages into the `base' section before
>>    this has been discussed on the `debian-devel' mailing list and a
>>    consensus about doing that has been reached.

This last is unclear and wierd.  In fact, it is only the boot-floppies
maintenance team who can add and remove packages from base.  Rewording
is below.

>> Joseph Carter wrote:
>> I don't see anything wrong with the boot-floppies folks asking on -devel
>> before adding stuff to base.

>In the urgent time such like now, I prefer "to announce on -devel also,
>but to discuss on -boot". I don't see anything wrong with the maintainer
>of the package which will go into "base system" and related people are
>invited to join the -boot list and discuss about boot-floppies.
>
> ("base system" is merely a part of boot-floppies, isn't it ?)

The base system is *defined* by code in the boot-floppies.  It's not
strictly boot-floppies code because the packages themselves have their
own maintainers.  Interacting with (i.e., filing bugs against) base
pkg maintainers is a significant part of my job as boot-floppies
project leader.

>I think the development of boot-floppies will and should go on -boot list.

Sure.  It is pretty critically important that pkg maintainer
themselves understand that their pkg is now part of base. Base defines
a very very small subset of Debian and sometimes pkgs which are on
base need to make special accomodations for being in base.
Futhermore, we sometime ask for special consideration (bug
turn-around) from maintainers, so that we can get working
boot-floppies out quicker.

I would reword the proposed last para thus:

  The boot-floppies team <debian-boot@lists.debian.org> is responsible
  for which packages are in base.  Prior to adding a package to base,
  or removing one from base, the boot-flopppies team must notify the
  package maintainer and <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>.
  Discussion of the ramifications of this move should take place on
  the boot-floppies list debian-boot@lists.debian.org>

Ok?