Re: hostname/ping in busybox

On Tue Dec 07, 1999 at 12:04:18AM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just poking around with busybox... think it's a great idea :)
>
> Anyway, I tried my hand at creating some new busybox commands -- hostname
> and ping. They are disabled by default. Comments are welcome as always.
> Erik, hope you don't mind me poking in your todo list :)

Mind! Not me, this is great, thanks!!! If you were close by (and female
and beautiful) I'd give you a kiss! Feel free to keep poking at the TODO
list.  I'm more than open to additions.

Another area I've been thinking about is something along the lines of
http://lrp.plain.co.nz/linux-router/router-source/POSIXness/POSIXness
but I'm not sure how best to implement it and it depends on a _full_
version of sed. The micro-sed I wrote for busybox just does rexexp
search and replace.

> The ping implementation adds about 3k. hostname is about 1k. i'll see if i
> can shave off a bit more later this week.

cool.  I'll look forward to seeing what you can do!

> oh, have a question about install.sh:
> what does it do:
> 	ln -s /bin/busybox $1$i
> instead of
> 	ln -s $1/bin/busybox $1$i
> ?
>
> The latter seems to work better....

The main reason is that I want the installation to be such
that I can just drop in /bin/ash and then chroot into it.
If the symlinks all point to $somepath/bin/busybox then
running inside a chroot won't work.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/