Re: hostname/ping in busybox

On Tue Dec 07, 1999 at 12:04:18AM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just poking around with busybox... think it's a great idea :)
> Anyway, I tried my hand at creating some new busybox commands -- hostname
> and ping. They are disabled by default. Comments are welcome as always.
> Erik, hope you don't mind me poking in your todo list :)

Mind! Not me, this is great, thanks!!! If you were close by (and female
and beautiful) I'd give you a kiss! Feel free to keep poking at the TODO
list.  I'm more than open to additions.

Another area I've been thinking about is something along the lines of
but I'm not sure how best to implement it and it depends on a _full_
version of sed. The micro-sed I wrote for busybox just does rexexp
search and replace.

> The ping implementation adds about 3k. hostname is about 1k. i'll see if i
> can shave off a bit more later this week.

cool.  I'll look forward to seeing what you can do!

> oh, have a question about install.sh:
> what does it do:
> 	ln -s /bin/busybox $1$i
> instead of
> 	ln -s $1/bin/busybox $1$i
> ?
> The latter seems to work better....

The main reason is that I want the installation to be such
that I can just drop in /bin/ash and then chroot into it.
If the symlinks all point to $somepath/bin/busybox then
running inside a chroot won't work.

Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org