Re: Feature?

ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca writes:

> Hi!
>   I'm just getting involved with Debian, been a Slackware
> and then SuSE person up till now.  I am trying to change over
> from SuSE to Debian on a machine I have, that has 2 SCSI
> controllers.  Under SuSE, the Symbios 53C875 based card
> is seen first, and so my bootable SCSI disk is /dev/sda.
> In trying to install Debian on top of this previous
> SuSE installation (mostly removed now), I find that
> now the Buslogic controller is seen first, and since
> I currently have a single SCSI Zip attached to that
> controller, all my SCSI disks have advanced up one
> drive letter.  What I am going to do is to disconnect

When you install your own kernel, make one in the kernel and one as
module. The modules driver will be recognised second.

> that controller and install without it (putting all
> the various drive letters where they "should be"
> according to the fstab.  I don't know if your boot-floppies
> package should consider this, but I thought you might
> be interested.
>
>   The other thing which seems to be happening is that
> I actually have multiple partitions (/var and /boot
> are their own partitions) and I've been manually
> mounting those on console 2 while playing with your
> boot floppies package.  I had this same problem
> with SuSE and yast, so I was expecting this.

If you do this before installing the Operating system (kernel and
modules) you will be given a list of currently mounted partitions,
which normaly include hand mounted partitions (when mounted under
/target).

But their is normaly no need to mount anything by hand.

May the SOurce be with you.
			Goswin