Re: Something amiss with busybox tar command

On Sun Nov 28, 1999 at 07:56:43AM +0200, Leon Breedt wrote:
> Greg Schafer (gschafer@zip.com.au) tapped away happily, and came up with:
>
> > The latest CVS busybox tar seems to be messing up permissions and
> > uid's/gid's when untarring /dev special files. It's also not handling the
> > sticky bit on /tmp and /var/tmp.
>
> I see from the source that its based on the 'sash' implementation of tar.
> This implementation is _broken_.  It behaved exactly like u describe for
> an attempted recovery of a broken system from a backup tarball.
>
> Needless to say, I was not amused :)

Umm. If you tried to use sash tar to fix your system, and you were
trying to fix up /dev entries with a tarball, I would expect not much
fixing got done. The sash tar implementation has _never_ supported
device special files. It only supports directories and regular files.

The busybox one is _based_ on the sash one, but BB tar != sash tar.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org