Re: Using UTF-8 (was Re: Debian Boot Floppies CVS: boot-floppies polish)

On Saturday 20 November 1999, at 1 h 58, the keyboard of Michael Sobolev
<mss@transas.com> wrote:

> > - langs.c must be in UTF-8 for another reason: it mixes characters from many
> > languages.
> Sorry, I do not quite understand your reasoning.

Well, "langs.c" store messages for all the supported languages. Therefore, we
have to choose one encoding which pleases everybody. While Latin-1 is fine for
French, Latin-2 for Czech and KOI8-R for Russian, you cannot use all these
8-bits encodings together.

Therefore, we have to use a more-than-8-bits encoding, like UTF-8 (which gcc
will accept).