Re: Debian Boot Floppies CVS: boot-floppies polish

On Friday 19 November 1999, at 10 h 42, the keyboard of Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:

> A separate file for every language, as now. And to convert those who need to
> be converted (english.xml is already in utf-8, since it is a superset of
> ASCII...).

OK, here is my suggested way, using only packages found in potato:

- all the XML files in UTF-8 (by law, every XML processor must recognize it,
and it has upward compatibility with ASCII). If you cannot or don't want to
edit UTF-8, use recode (here, I assume you edited in Latin-2):

 recode latin-2..utf-8 polish.xml

- langs.c must be in UTF-8 for another reason: it mixes characters from many
languages. No problem for gcc, which is 8-bits clean.

- conversion from UTF-8 to the choosen charset needs to be done dynamically in
dbootstrap. librecode could help, but it would mean adding it to the rescue
disk.