Re: HPT366 UDMA support for boot disks, here is what I did

Heikki Vatiainen <hessu@cs.tut.fi> writes:

>   The Debian boot disks do not currently support HighPoint HPT366
>   Ultra DMA controllers. This mail describes what I had to do to
>   get the Debian boot-floppies to support HPT366.
[...]
> Since the boot floppies do not support HPT366, I had to create the
> disks myself. The first thing was to compile the kernel which I
> did with the steps shown below. The kernel is the normal debian
> 2.2.12 kernel with the UDMA patch from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ applied.
> After the kernel was compiled, it was copied into the local mirror
> for the boot-floppies package.

To follow-up on this bug:

  All the modification to the boot-floppies which was required have
  been applied.

  The kernel patch issues are not and cannot be addressed by the
  boot-floppies group.  To comply with the GPL licensing of the
  kernel, I explicitly need to keep away from providing kernel patched
  with source which is not also available in Debian.  Therefore, you
  have two choices: (a) get the kernel-patch package merged with the
  stock sources, if the kernel source maintainer agrees (and he's very
  conservative!), or (b) have a kernel-patch package for your patch
  included into potato, and hopefully provide us with kernel-images in
  packaged format also (if possible).

I hope you understand our position...