Re: /etc/rc is not run anymore

On Fri Nov 12, 1999 at 12:51:37AM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   another pb in busybox: /etc/rc is not run anymore by init, so rootfs is not
> always mounted rw.  When booting from an initrd, it is already rw at boot time
> but when booting from an nfsroot partition, the root fs is first mounted ro by
> the kernel and should be toggled rw later.  It was before done by /etc/rc, but
> now?  Does /etc/rc have to be called from /etc/init.d/rcS or its contents moved
> to rcS?

Move this stuff to /etc/init.d/rcS.

> btw, /etc/rc calls block_device that disappeared in latest busybox.  It was an
> attempt to get the real root dev name to be able to remount rw the root fs.
> If block_device cannot be called anymore, we could just replace the mount
> command by:
>
> mount -n -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/root /
>
> mount does not requires accuracy device & filesystem type to just remount rw
> the filesystem.

Sure, That should work. (btw, busybox for the boot floppies has BB_MTAB
turned off (no /etc/mtab reading/writing), so
    busybox mount /dev/root / -t ext2 -o remount,rw
will do the job. If /etc/fstab has the root filesystems /dev name in it,
mount (via glibc's getfsfile() ) will be able to resolve /dev/root into
whatever /etc/fstab says root is.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/