Bug#35729: marked as done (rootdisk: Installation from 5.25" floppies seems to require resc1440.bin)
Your message dated 30 Oct 1999 15:04:06 -0400
with message-id <email@example.com>
and subject line bugs closed in unstable boot-floppies (currently 2.2.1)
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere. Please contact me immediately.)
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)
Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 7 Apr 1999 23:29:13 +0000
Received: (qmail 17965 invoked from network); 7 Apr 1999 23:29:06 -0000
Received: from ham-on4-42.netcom.ca (HELO weniac.math.toronto.edu) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
by master.debian.org with SMTP; 7 Apr 1999 23:29:06 -0000
Received: from yomama.math.toronto.edu (email@example.com [192.168.68.7]) by weniac.math.toronto.edu (8.9.1/8.8.3) with ESMTP id XAA00246; Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:14:10 GMT
Received: by weniac.math.toronto.edu
via sendmail from stdin
id <m10V1k4-0004hOC@yomama.math.toronto.edu> (Debian Smail184.108.40.206)
for firstname.lastname@example.org; Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:28:20 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:28:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: rootdisk: Installation from 5.25" floppies seems to require resc1440.bin
X-Mailer: bug 3.1.7
I tried installing slink on a system using 5.25" floppies. The installation
got hung up at the stage where it should obtain the kernel from a floppy.
It asked me for the file resc1440.bin even though I only had resc1200.bin
because I was installing from 5.25" floppies.
-- System Information
Debian Release: potato
Kernel Version: Linux yomama 2.0.35 #1 Sun Dec 27 22:51:43 EST 1998 i586 unknown
Received: (at 35729-done) by bugs.debian.org; 30 Oct 1999 19:03:47 +0000
Received: (qmail 15354 invoked from network); 30 Oct 1999 19:03:40 -0000
Received: from arcts2p216.port.net (HELO arroz.fake) (@220.127.116.11)
by master.debian.org with SMTP; 30 Oct 1999 19:03:40 -0000
Received: by arroz.fake (Postfix, from userid 421)
id 1FB1F93802; Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:04:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Subject: bugs closed in unstable boot-floppies (currently 2.2.1)
From: Adam Di Carlo <email@example.com>
Date: 30 Oct 1999 15:04:06 -0400
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
The bug you have reported has been fixed in the boot-floppies released
for potato, currently the unstable debian distribution. If you get a
chance, please test these boot-floppies for the problem you reported.
We know of a number of other problems in unstable, however, so beware.
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>
boot-floppies (2.2.0) unstable; urgency=low
* major updates for potato:
- potato updates for dependancies, etc. (closes: Bug#41866,
- powerpc support
- root and boot disks split for most architectures
- new driver installation setup, driver disks split like base disks
- kernel 2.2.x based, fixing numerous problems with the old kernels,
and with tecra disks, which are no longer necessary
(closes: Bug#36875, Bug#34949, Bug#39961, Bug#41456, Bug#37892)
- selections mechanism is gone in favor of metapackages
(closes: Bug#33837, Bug#41408)
- many i386 booting problems fixed in new upstream syslinux
(closes: Bug#47101 et al)
* maintainer for this software changed to firstname.lastname@example.org;
it really is a joint effort
* added pointerize i18n tools, moving our i18n system to gettext
* Added support for nfs media type always being selectable. When selected,
the user is prompted to configure the network.
* Removed some obsolete partition to filesystem mappings from libfdisk.
* Fixed busybox halt routine to not call it's bdflush routine. This
causes halt/reboot hangs on 2.2.11+ with kupdate
* Modified prototype init_tab to spawn a shell and the final install
script directly. New login package broke passwordless access.
* Fixed basedisks.sh problem with creating .../etc/network/spoof-protect.
* Updates for serial console handling with new kbd and setserial
packages. Also identification of a serial console system to the
final installation so keymapping is not attempted.
* Disabled broken powerpc, sparc library reduction.
* Fixed disksize boot-parameter default setting for systems that
don't have it passed from the loader.
* Moved powerpc to kernel 2.2.12, increased rescue disk size. Haven't
split rescue to boot/root yet.
* graphical dbootstrap option for framebuffer capable systems
* debian/control: un-version the versioned dependancy on lynx, allowing
lynx-ssl to work also (closes: Bug#38839); standards version 18.104.22.168
* debian/rules: move to FHS
* all arches use ext2 filesystems (no minix anymore)
* Better serial console support, now autodetects if on serial and skips
kbd config, etc.
* Fixed powerpc subarch detection to properly detect PReP and reduced to
only use sed.
* Error in checking of base system installation fixed, dbootstrap:
main_menu.c, and extract_base.c. (closes: Bug#36947, Bug#38007)
* Introduction of disksize boot-parameter, dbootstrap: main.com, and
dbootstrap.h (closes: Bug#35729)
* Rewritten tftpboot.sh to support many image formats (TFTP, TILO now).
* Rewritten alternate kernel rules in top Makefile (should work for sparc &
i386 arch at least).
* Don't ask for setting hardware clock to local time on sparc arch (assume
always GMT). Other archs could undef LOCALTIME in dbootstrap.h to do so.
* All dialog boxes are now centered on screen.
* documentation: add powerpc
-- Marcel Harkema <email@example.com> Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:57:49 +0200
boot-floppies (2.1.11) unstable; urgency=low
* Changes made by Martin Schulze <firstname.lastname@example.org> to provide proper
German disk images. Details follow:
- Added support for a creator != maintainer, main Makefile and
- Added detection for modules in main makefile since both minix
support and loopback support is sufficient when provided as modules
- Extracted MSG_BOOT_MESSAGE_TEXT from all lang_<lang>.h files into a
boot_message file. This file will be converted by rootdisk.sh to
use the proper charset which was required since it is displayed
before Linux is loaded and thus the IBMPC charset is used on intel
- Added support for boot_message to rootdisk.sh. The routine for
recoding the file was stolen from rescue.sh, well, the skeleton and
- Heavily updated de.po for root_profile, changed formattings, changed
from "Du" to "Sie" which is more kind.
- .bash_profile: Unset LANG before dselect is called to avoid Perl
complain about locale. This is a workaround and needs a proper fix
- Updated boot messages for SYSLINUX, changed formattings, changed
from "Du" to "Sie" which is more kind.
- Updated release_notes, changed formattings, changed from "Du" to
- kbdconfig.c: Turned all keyboard descriptions into defines in order
to fit with our scheme of i18n.
- Extended lang_C.h and lang_de.h to contain these descriptions.
- partition_config.c: Added support for LINGUA/LANG when issuing
`cfdisk'. Same goes for `mkfs'. Also added proper _test target so
we can test this dialog locally as well.
- Added new address and notice to README-Translators.
* Updated and corrected English, German, Japanese and Russian
documentation (closes: Bug#38442, Bug#42124))
* skip configuring the keyboard on serial console installation.
* fixed a problem with non bootable floppy images on ultrasparc (new
silo1440k-sun4u image required to build). Compiled with silo 0.8.6-1 to
fix a bug in booting SunOS on ultrasparc.
-- Adam Di Carlo <email@example.com> Sat, 26 Jun 1999 18:15:36 -0400
boot-floppies (2.1.10) stable; urgency=low
* forked slink version (potato work now proceeding in the 2.2 tree)
* rootdisk.sh: provide hde hdf hdg hdh devices on i386 (closes: Bug#34934);
provide eda and edb devices for ESDI drives (closes: Bug#33938)
* busybox/ls.c: include overflow protection patch from Avery Pennarun
* added PS/2 keymaps for sparc (closes: Bug#35649); fix problem in
kbd support for PPC
* fixes for /dev/console support in 2.2 kernel. Note that 2.2 is still
rather unofficial, although required for sun4u
* busybox: mkswap handles v1 swap partition layouts (closes: Bug#34072)
* debian/control: version the libc6-pic dependancy (closes: Bug#31797)
* lowmem: update documentation, debian.txt now correctly states that
this floppy is for RAM situations between 4MB and 6MB (closes: Bug#33145)
new build to pick up documentation changes in the 2.1.9.x series
correction in PDF makefiles; this was leading to bad TOCs
low memory installation and lowmemrd.bin now better documented
(closes: Bug#26626); when root.bin is needed better documented
boot troubleshooting: add more hints, for hlt problems and lowmem on
i386, bad NVRAM on sparc
require debiandoc-sgml >= 1.1.18, for content negotiated output and
languages now building documentation for: Croatian, Finnish, Japanese,
French, Czech (not all these languages are fully translated)
-- Adam Di Carlo <firstname.lastname@example.org> Sun, 18 Apr 1999 14:46:09 -0400