Re: console-tools in base

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 12:09:51AM +0200, dirson@debian.org wrote:
> merge 47912 47913
> reassign 47912 boot-floppies
> thanks
>
> This problem is IMHO caused by boot-floppies not using console-tools.
> Nobody had objected for the priority exchange of kbd and
> console-tools.
>
> If there is a space problem to make console-tools fit on the boot
> floppies, I guess I can allow for stripped-down programs with minimal
> functionality to be built.  We'll have to discuss that.
>
> Please note I have some problem with my @multimania address, and a lot
> of mail is somewhat stuck on a server to which I struggle to gain pop3
> access to.

The problem I'm seeing is more directly related to running on serial
console.  The postinst file for console-tools (and kbd previously) want
to run loadkeys/dumpkeys and yet their is not a normal console facility
to do that.  These packages break during configuration on a serial console
so we don't want them to be "required" on all systems.  The "required"
priority makes them get autoselected in dselect after the system is
installed (and they have already been removed by the installer which knows
it is on sercon and can't make use of consolee-*).

--
Matt Porter                                   Motorola Computer Group
mporter@mcg.mot.com                           CIBU Linux Support