Re: boot-floppies status from an insider (was Re: Deficiencies in Debian)

Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:

> Do we still want to support very old hardware, especially low memory system
> (eg. some old sparc, and maybe old 386, 486 as well) ?

Then you also need a 1.x kernel. 2.0 is wasting mem and 2.2 doesn´t
boot on low mem maschines. I think its safe to assume 8 MB ram for a
linux installation. Everybody else should take a bootdisk from bo or slink.

> In this case, we need to add a "swap on NFS" patch to the kernel.
> I found one patch for 2.0.35 (sparc) kernel.  And for 2.2, NBD could be used
> along with a patch to the networking subsystem
> (http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/nbd/nbd.html).
> I will try to build bootdisks for sparc based on them.

Hmm, if you can nfs-swap, you will have acess to another maschine,
where you custombuild your kernel and copy that to the boot disk. If
ram is a problem you will want to compile a kernel anyway.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin