Re: Low memory support...

Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enst.fr> writes:

> So i'm trying to install Debian on a 4Mb RAM Laptop but i didn't succeded
> even using the lowmem boot disk. I followed all the steps described in the
> installation manual but dbootstrap fails when i try to perform the step
> "Configure device drivers & modules". The center of the screen is empty and
> the cursor is blinking in the status line. The hard drive spins up  forever,
> there are no error messages, even on the others ttys.
> I tried it with four floppy sets, nothing to do.

There's a problem with the slink lowmem support.  There was a web page
somewhere about this but I don't recall where it was.

> I'm not sure I understand well the new design for potato's boot-floppies but
> it seems to me that the rescue floppies in slink will become a set of two
> floopies boot & root. May be this new design may allow better support for
> low memory install.

No, not in the least, I'm afraid.

> But may be the lowmem install will not be a goal for potato, and i understand
> that very well. (I means: may be there are others distributions more adapted
> for this situation)

Well, we would like very much to support low memory situations, but
right now we're scrambling to get just anything at all working!

> My last point is that i was thinking in using NFS over PLIP to install the
> system but i didn't remenber there was any support for this in the install.
> (in any case, i'm not here...)

NFS/TFTP and NFSROOT in particular requires even more available RAM
than floppy-based systems.