Re: kernel for booting vs standard kernel ?

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 10:02:36PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> and not having to maintain another kernel.  But it might give us more
> leverage to play around with kernel settings (and req'd modules for
> installation) if we maintain our own "boot kernel".

One problem with a bare rescue disk kernel would be that you can't use it
to boot your harddisk anymore.  Also, people who could boot the kernel from
the boot floppy may find that their system is unbootable (because of driver
conflicts etc.) once they've finished the base install and are trying to boot
the kernel on the harddrive.

IHMO if someone is going to spend time on this at all, you might as well
do initrd.