Re: Boot Root Raid

Scott Patten <spatten@wasatch.com> writes:

> I have a server that has 2 drives that I want to mirror.  I have another
> server with 4 drives that I want to stripe.  I would like to use RAID on
> the root of both but I don't want to have a partition dedicated to
> booting.  I want to boot from a CD so that I can have several copies lying
> around in case a drive fails.

> I would like to do the following if it's even possible.

It's certainly possible.  I don't think that the boot-floppies team is
all that interested in supporting RAID boot filesystems at this point
because it's a big mess, and from what I hear, the whole booting from
RAID subsystem of the kernel is going to be revamped anyways.

Not to try to discourage you -- just pointing out why there's nothing
in the archive about this.

> I would like to
> make a bootable CD that uses initrd.  The temp root would contain a script
> that scans /proc for potential root devices including md devices.  It
> would then prompt for a root device and then use it to finish loading
> Linux.  I would keep a basic root filesystem on the CD with all of the
> tools needed to restore from tape - including the md tools.  This would
> facilitate creation of RAIDs as well.

Sounds reasonable I guess.

> Does anyone know if there is even anything in /proc at this point?

Should be.  You can just mount /proc if not.

> Has this been done already?  Am I missing something?  BTW, what filesystem
> does root.bin use?  I had trouble mounting it as a loopback device.

Depends on your architecture -- generally minix or ext2.