Re: automatic installation again

Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@cs.unitn.it> writes:

> On the web site you can find a bootdisk image, a compressed rootdisk image
> and a directory of packages which have been modified for the automatic
> installation. They should overwrite the corresponding official files.
> My tool is based on the official slink cd's.
[...]
> You will need also the file extra.tgz with modified versions of apt and dpkg,
> and an optional config.tgz with local preconfigured files which go in /etc.
> The latter is needed to prevent silly questions from packages which pretend
> to create complex configuration files by asking one question at a time.

BTW, have you been following the autoconfiguration proposals which
have been floating around, i.e.,
<URL:http://www.debian.org/~wakkerma/config6/> ?

Obviously locally hacked packages isn't viable, as you know.  I wonder
if we might consider submitting bugs against packages which we think
may be asking questions which might not need to be asked?

> 5)  reboot the target machine from bootdisk and rootdisk with the following
>     syslinux command:
>
>     linux KEYBOARD=type MOUSE=device:type:-R

Oh!  I know enrique was very interested in having this in the
mainstream boot-floppies.  Could you make some patches against the
latest codeline of the boot-floppies package in CVS, and send them to
this list for review?

> 6)  at the root prompt try the following commands:
>
>     install -?		# to show the command and configuration file options
>
>     install --source server_ip:/distribution_path --target /dev/hda --erase \
> 	    --profile "client" --hostname host.domain --verbose 3
>
>     Note that this command will completely erase your target harddisk.
>     If you don't like this run fdisk by hand and specify the --root-partition
>     and --swap-partition options in the command line. Note also that lilo
>     doesn't handle harddisks with more than 1024 cylinders.

Interesting.  Does this call a modified dbootstrap?  Does it replace
dbootstrap?

> 7)  answer any other questions and see what happens. If it doesn't work look
>     at the documentation file in the rootdisk: /usr/bin/install. In the file
>     /tmp/install.log you can find a log of the installation.

I thing /var/log would be a better place for it, since it would be
deleted at reboot otherwise.  I very much like the idea of having an
install log -- again, do you think we could add this to the main
boot-floppies codeline somehow?