Re: "live" fs (Re: Strategy for boot-floppies)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:
> > It should be able to be done on a 1.44 meg boot image, but a 2.88MB floppy
> > would be even better.  My live cd (http://www.ocslink.com/~blunier/) boots
> > off a 1.44MB image, and runs a full distribution off a CD, without using
> > the hard drive.  One of the reasons I made it was to use it as an install
> > disk (besides a cool demo CD).  After booting the system, partition the
> > hard drive, make a file sytem, mount the file system, then copy the CD to
> > the mounted partition, run lilo, and reboot (removing the CD).
>
> I like the idea of a "live" fs (CD or NFS), but... with no swap,
> and 4 or 8M already on the ramdisk, wouldn't this leave too
> little RAM?

Depending on the system, yes, and now that you bring it up, it may put
this method out of the running.  I've been booting on systems with 64M.
I believe that I was using 5M for the root file system, so I didn't have
any problems running emacs and such.  I haven't tried to see what would
happen on a system that only had 8M.  But I'd think 3M would be enough
to run cfdisk, cp, and a few scripts.

Mark