Re: Multiple Boot images per CD

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 05:57:57PM +0200, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> I tried to make a bootable CD with several bootimages by repeating the -b
> option to mkhybrid (latest) version but failed, and looking at the source,
> this appears not to be supported.
>
> Is this the final word on this issue? Anyone having the specs and some spare
> time to offer? This would be a nice feature and could help development much.

I already coded the support to do this - there's a patch on my homepage(1) to do
it. Unfortunately, there are a couple of caveats:

1. With plain multiple bootable images, my BIOS gives you a menu without
descriptions.

2. When I then tried to write a selector program, I discovered that my BIOS
doesn't implement the spec fully - it doesn't implement ANY of the bootable
CD functions as far as I could tell.

My BIOS is Award 4.51PG - which seems to be what just about all PCs which
are new enough to support Bootable CDs at all have. This is extremely
unfortunate. Apparently, some SCSI BIOSes support the spec properly, though
on the plus side.

(1) My homepage is at http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
The page you'll want is http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/linux.html#mkh
Or http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/files.html#linux for the actual files.

There are in fact two patches - one for mkisofs 1.12, one for mkhybrid,
and various combinations with my modified symlink following support
patches are available.

--
Tom <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>