Re: Strategy for boot-floppies

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

> > The RAM disk should be loaded from a file on the CD. Similiar as
> > above, you don't need the NIC driver modules. But the SCSI drivers are
> > needed to access the CD-ROM. (Currently SCSI drivers are compiled in
> > the kernel. But it might be a good idea to move them to modules and
> > adapt Debian to boot via initrd. An old project ...)
>
> ... that we must try to implement for potato.  That way we may ship the
> ever-increasing horde of modules in several floppies,

For installation we don't need all modules. Only SCSI and Ethernet,
maybe slip/plip/ppp, unlikely ISDN. I guess the big module growth is
in other places like sound, video.

We might stop offering to install the kernel form the rescue (or boot)
disk. If we resort to install the one from CD or network we don't need
to place all modules on floppy.

> > With extra work (and a special boot disk) we could provide a 4 MB RAM
> > installation: The initial root fs' job is to run fdisk and then
> > cat/zcat the following root fs to hard disk. But IMHO this is a
> > useless exercise.
>
> IIRC, our current low-memory boot disk may be used for that.

When I did low-mem memory was very tight, but you might have solved it
with the C version of the low-mem program ...

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@sax.de>		http://www.sax.de/~sr1/