Re: debian-2.2 boot-floppies

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > The slink-i386 is:
> >
> >   linux    715260
> >   root.bin 702675
> >
> > My powerpc-glibc-2.1 is:
> >
> >   linux     768526
> >   root.bin 1172311
> >
> > So the main work must go for the ramdisk. Can s/o build a root.bin on i386
> > and also alpha and sparc for comparing this?

Well, I was reviewing some old mails to the list and thought about this a
bit more.  It seems that since the old libc hack quit working on glibc
2.1.1, we have seen the most bloat in the ramdisk image.  I think the best
course of action is to concentrate on fixing that hack so we can generate
a slimmer libc for root.bin.  I'll note that the size of my PReP linux and
root.bin images are roughly the same as above.  IIRC, the (non-working)
hacked libc was at least 1M smaller than the full libc so that will give
us some breathing room in that 1.44M space if it can be made to work
again.

Comments? Has anybody spent some time looking at this issue yet?  Is it
fixable or did something change so drastically in glibc 2.1.1 that it
can't be made to work again?  As soon as I finish support for making PReP
boot from harddrive/floppy I will tackle this as long as nobody else is
already doing it.

Thanks,

--
Matt Porter