Re: anonymous CVS policy

pgarcia <pgarcia@execpc.com> writes:

> Why are some of the modules accessible from anonymous cvs (read-only is
> fine), while others are not?  If this is a FAQ, please point me to the
> document that answers it.
>
> In this case, I'm disappointed that I can't read the boot-floppies module.

You should be able to read all modules.  Read the attached README-CVS
document.

If you are still having problems, you're going to need to give us more
details.  I.e., which module you're trying to check out, a log of the
session showing failure to check out the sources, etc.

You can access the boot-floppies using CVS; this is particularly useful
if you are actively working on the package.

CVS comes with excellent documentation; in particular, see the 'cvs'
info pages.

There are various ways to access the CVS repository for the boot-floppies,
depending on your circumstances.  However, once you've set up your
CVSROOT variable properly, all the access methods behave identically.

The following are bash commands you can
run to get the CVS area; other shell users should be able to translate
to their shell language easily.  Commands with a '#' are comments; you
don't have to type those.

  # if you are logged into to va.debian.org, aka cvs.debian.org:
  export CVSROOT=/cvs/debian-boot

  # if you are using 'ssh' to access the area, and you have an account
  # on va.debian.org  -- this is the recommended method:
  export CVS_RSH=ssh
  export CVSROOT=:ext:<MY-USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot

  # if you are using anonymous (readonly) access:
  export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
  cvs login
    # you will be prompted for a password -- just hit 'enter'

  # if you are using a pserver account (i.e., you need write access but
  # do not have an account on va, and you have been given a pserver
  # username and password):
  export CVSROOT=:pserver:<USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
  cvs login
    # enter the password you have been given

After that, all techniques are the same.  Simply check out the sources.
For the lastest (possibly unstable) version, do:

  cvs co boot-floppies

For the slink CVS branch, which is probably what you are using if you are
working on translating slink documentation:

  cvs co -r adam-boot-floppies_2-1_branch boot-floppies

>From there, you just use 'cvs update' and 'cvs commit' -- see the
info pages.