rc?.d configuration

I must be blind, but I can't seem to locate the area where dbootstrap
configures the rc?.d links after installing the base system.  Something is
broken such that I am left with nothing in rc?.d/* after configuring the
base system.  The only thing I could find is the sysvinit.postint script
that handles this but it doesn't seem to get execed.

I'm working on a PowerPC PReP system with a recent CVS version of
boot-floppies FWIW.  I'd appreciate any pointers to where this process
occurs.

Thanks,

--
Matt Porter