Re: Using glilo+lilocommon to improve lilo's configuration

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 03:39:43PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
(...)

> > 	a) this fits the TODO list of the boot-floppies
>
> Definately -- although it might be useful as a separate package as well.

	Yes, I also feel that the 'liloconfig' script that the lilo package
provides is not enough for a normal user. I will try to

a) make the interface useful for an 'expert' user (allow to have multiple
images and add any kind of
b) guide the 'novice' user through steps in making a lilo.conf from scratch
having in mind normal configurations (linux standalone, linux w/ other OS
etc...), giving pointers to more documentation (HOWTOs and mini-HOWTos) as
well as showing help on parameter info (so the 'novice' user can slowly turn
into an 'expert' user)

	I hope the code will work well both as part of boot-floppies and a
stand alone 'liloconfig' package to work from at several UI's: console and
X. I don't know of any standard UIs that allow this to be made easily...
¿maybe newt?.
	From what I've tinkered with 'dialog' has a gnome version
('gdialog') that knows when you're in text mode or X mode and shows the UI
either with normal dialog or with gnome's widgets...

	I will probably have the first tests with shell scripting and then
move on to C when I have enough ideas on how to make the UI. I have some,
but on paper, no code yet.

	Regards

	Javi