Re: cfdisk and libslang problems

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Matt Porter wrote:
> > I've found that on my devel PReP system (using a serial console), I can
> > run cfdisk with no problems.
> >
> > However, after building a rescue disk from the current mirror of packages,
> > I find that the cfdisk fails when running from the rescue disk.  I'm using
> > a serial console for booting in this case as well, I've verified that all
> > the dependent libraries are the same as on my development system and that
> > the cfdisk binary is the same.  If I shell out from dbootstrap and run
> > cfdisk from the cli I get this:
> >
> > ># cfdisk
> > >S-Lang Error: Unknown Error Code
> > >SLcurses_initscr: init failed
> > >
> > >#
> >
> > And then my terminal is completely hung.  Any slang gurus got a clue or
> > anybody seen this before?
>
> I don't know, however, this is an answer I got when asking in an
> online forum:
>
> <JHM> Joey: Check if you have a valid $TERM
> <gaia> Joey: set TERM to linux, then, iirc
> <gaia> Joey: whithing dbootstrap, i mean
>
> Can you retry with that?  E.g. hax0r dbootstrap to set TERM?

I'll give this a try next week...I'm at Linux Expo now.  I did strace
things a bit and found that it was failing opening /dev/tty.  I was
assuming it was a serial console issue, but judging by the bug report in a
later message with a monochrome system, it seems to be a more generic
problem.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com