Re: syslinux -s

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 02:29:57PM +0100, Juan Cespedes wrote:
> Does anyone know of a system needing the "-safe" disks?
> H. Peter Anvin sent this to the syslinux mailing list:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com> -----
> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>
> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:11:21 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: syslinux -s
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who has, or know of, a machine for which
> the -s option to SYSLINUX is required for it to reliably boot.  I need
> to know the boot medium (floppy, harddisk, CD-ROM, LS-120, zip),
> machine, the failure mode, and if the error is intermittent or not.  I
> am exploring a way which I hope may make this option unneccesary, at
> least in the cases where the failure mode is a "boot failed" message.

I'm unsure as to whether its the -s that's needed, but the standard Debian
2.1 disks do this ("boot failed") on a whole lab full of Dell PII machines I
have access to.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGPKey: vvv             Fight UK crypto legislation - http://www.stand.org.uk/