8-bit packed pixels support for graphical boot

I've checked in 8-bit packed pixels support for the Debian graphical
boot floppies.  I'd appreciate if someone would test it and report
back results--it might or might not work, I haven't had a chance to
check.

Is there a way to display a virtual framebuffer under X?  It would be
a good way to test mode support without having to mess with another
computer.  If this doesn't exist, maybe I'll end up writing it...