using CDs to install from hard drive.

I am testing some disks to send to a friend. He has a lot of disk
space, as many people do.  I suggested just installing the preselected
packages using multi-cd, which only uses disk 1 .  Then mount each CD
and copy them to an archive on your hard drive, point apt at it, and
you have a much easier way to install the rest, via dselect or with
apt as stand alone.  Unfortunately, the CDs do not have any intact
Packages files from the archive.  I explained in my notes how to cat
the two main Packages files from disk one and two together, and how to
save the non-free and contrib Packages files, and then how to install
them in the archive on the hard drive.  This works, but would add a
lot of confusion for the newbie.

	It would be nice to have some more automated support for
copying the CDs to a hard drive, because it make package installation
more painless.  Its getting a bit late for this release however ! Even
putting the intact packages files in some top level directory with a
note would help.  You could also tell the user how to regenerate them,
but I could not find this clearly documented anywhere.

	I have installed a couple of times and many packages, and I
haven't had a major problem or unresolved dependecy issue.  Good Job

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>