Re: Release-critical Bugreport for February 22, 1999

On Mon 22 Feb 1999, BugScan reporter wrote:

> Package: boot-floppies (main)
> Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>
>   33276  FW: Boot disks 2.1.7 has "broken" dpkg_slinkcd ;(
>   33428  gpm: freopen(stderr) failed
> [HELP] This might be due to a wrong /dev/console, someone should check

I installed a system this weekend with 2.1.7, and also saw this. Other
problems also happened (blinkd didn't work), and I indeed traced it to
/dev/console not being correct. /dev/console was (5, 1), which is what
the 2.2 kernel wants the console to be, re the Documentation/devices.txt:

  5 char    Alternate TTY devices
          0 = /dev/tty      Current TTY device
          1 = /dev/console  System console
  [...]
        (5,1) is /dev/console starting with Linux 2.1.71.  See
        the section on terminal devices for more information
        on /dev/console.
  [...]
  The console device, /dev/console, is the device to which system
  messages should be sent, and on which logins should be permitted in
  single-user mode.  Starting with Linux 2.1.71, /dev/console is managed
  by the kernel; for previous versions it should be a symbolic link to
  either /dev/tty0, a specific virtual console such as /dev/tty1, or to
  a serial port primary (tty*, not cu*) device, depending on the
  configuration of the system.

Running "./MAKEDEV console" in /dev fixed it for me, although that's
probably overkill (it recreated ALL /dev/tty*, /dev/pty*, ...). A
simple "rm -f /dev/console; ln -s tty0 /dev/console" should suffice.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands