Re: ThinkPad 770

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:27:03 +0200, fabrizio.polacco@nokia.com said:
>>  It would help me to also get a copy of kernel-images .deb and
>> pcmcia-module .debs.  Could you put that up at
>> ftp://ftp.icenet.fi/private/fpolacco/debian/ ?

> Done. The two .deb are there now.

Ok, got it.  Unfortunately, your pcmcia packages aren't compatible
with the stock kernel, and we can only have one PCMCIA package.  I
note that you built your tpp kernel with APM -- is that necessary?
That's the symbol that caused problems with loading PCMCIA.

> As you can notice the names are not so ... right (I didn't thought I
> had to post that packages, so I didn't care about names or the
> rest).

Yeah, that doesn't matter.

> Maybe someone more used to packaging kernels (Xu?) can clean them up
> and make an official package.  In fact, I don't think that providing
> disk images is enough; we need to supply a "TP" version of all
> (most?) of the kernel images.

No, just 2.0.36 is all we need.

> Few days ago I hit the problem that
> an upgrade upgraded also the kernel image, overwriting the TP image
> installed by the rescue disk.  I don't know what is the system used
> to tell dpkg what package installed the kernel when it was really
> installed by the rescue.  After the upgrade the boot hang as usual,
> and I recovered booting from the rescue, mounting all my partitions
> (I have several, and after each mount the option falls deeper down
> in the list :-) and reinstalled kernel and modules. You always need
> also the modules if you have (like me) the network via PCMCIA (I
> used only the two disks, the base came from the net).  Then I
> removed all the kernel-image packages that resulted installed (there
> was more than one, maybe due to my previous attempts) and installed
> the TP debs.

Um, hum, that would depend on the way you numbered your version.  A
possible workaround is to distinguish in the version number itself,
i.e., the package could be kernel-image-2.0.36-tpp rather than
kernel-image-2.0.36; as a separate package, it wouldn't be upgraded by
newer kernel-image-2.0.36 packages.

> It would be great if we could have only two lines of "kernels" (both
> boot floppies and kernel images), one for desktops and one for
> laptops.  About this I would suggest to create a debian-laptop
> mailing list where people with different kind of laptops can test
> these workarounds for some particular problem, to make possible to
> have "general" solutions instead than lots of peculiarities.

We already have a low-volume APM list that works quite well.  See the
url for the apmd package, in /usr/doc/apmd/copyright and surf around
there.