something wicked in boot-floppies -- new rev impossible

There's something seriously amiss in the new boot-floppies.
The system installs ok, but after installation of the base system
and reboot on my own power (x86), I get

VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
INIT: version 2.76 booting
/etc/init.d/rcS: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or directory
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
login[13]: unable to change tty `/dev/tty1' for user `root'

Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: Illegal seek

[repeat last two messages over and over]

What the heck did we do?  I booted from the rescue disk and the
/dev/tty* major and minor numbers seem ok.