Re: Slink release - what's left?

Steve Dunham wrote:
> Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
> > Where are we up to on non-i386 boot/installation? If we're going to
> > release together, which I assume is still the plan, then we need to get
> > this sorted _soon_. I know someone (Eric? Stephane?) is working on the
> > sparc disks and I have some support for them now. I've seen work ongoing
> > on the m68k disks, too. I've not seen much for Alpha yet, but that may be
> > my fault.
>
> Eric is working on the disks.  I think he is going to patch slink_cd
> for the dual boot stuff.  (It's pretty simple, I can come up with the
> patch after I know how he is naming the disk images.
>
> I'm not sure if he will have time to finish it until this weekend.  He
> is adding support to boot-floppies to handle 2.2.x kernels and install
> the right kernel depending on the architecture of the Sparc kernel.
>
> The changes to slink_cd to implement the dual booting are trivial.  I
> believe that Eric is going to take care of this.  (I can do it if he
> doesn't.)

  resc1440.bin, drv1440.bin                           for 2.0.35 sparclinux
  resc1440-2.2.1.bin, drv1440-2.2.1.bin               for alternate 2.2.1 sparclinux
  resc1440-2.2.1-sun4u.bin, drv1440-2.2.1-sun4u.bin   for 2.2.1 ultralinux

Could you fix slink_cd yourself then send back the patch to me?
I don't have much time to spend on debian this weekend and my priority is to
fix bugs related to 2.2 kernel support in bootdisks.

BTW, I did a fresh install on a SparcClassic using a tftpboot image built with
TILO & your 2.2.1 kernels.  No major problems... if using a framebuffer.  I
just was unable to configure the device drivers (modconf exited immediately; I
need to investigate...).
The big problem I have is in serial console support.  Since linux is using
/dev/console now, I cannot detect in a trivial manner whether it is connected
to a serial console or not.  I need to find a way to discriminate between
linux console & serial console...

Thanks for your help.