Re: Ready to build 2.1.7

Enrique Zanardi writes:
>I'm going to build and test boot-floppies_2.1.7 this weekend. If
>everything goes well, I'll upload them to chiark next monday.
>If you want me to include your patches, send them ASAP. :-)

I've finally had a chance to look at the LS/120 stuff - superformat is
evil in terms of what it assumes about / does with a floppy controller.
I've tried hacking out the bits that I could see, but it broke badly.
However, there is another way around this for formatting disks: mformat
will make DOS-format 1.44 MB floppies on an LS/120 _if_ you give it all
the parameters it needs. I've just tested this on my friend's machine and
it works using the command line

./mformat -t80 -h2 -s18 a:

if you sepcify that "a:" coressponds to /dev/hd<foo> for the ATAPI floppy.
This means that we need to have mtools in the base system, though. And we
also need to ask the user where their floppy drive is at some point during
the install.

Comments?

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
home page</a>                          Cthulhu - Why vote for the Lesser Evil?