Re: more language support

On 7 Feb 1999, Changwoo Ryu wrote:

> Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:
>
> > > we need much more language support for potato! This begins at the
> > > boot-floppies
> > > and ends by the debian/control.<language> for each package.
> > >
> > > The debian boot-floppies have now generic language support, but it isn't
> > > currently
> > > possible to select the language from start-up. I prefer this method and not
> > > the one
> > > to create boot-floppies for every language. If this doesn't fit on the
> > > floppies this
> > > should then go to the cdrom.
> >
> > Space is too limited on the floppy I am sure.
>
> But the Red Hat installation floppies do that.  14 languages are
> supported in 5.2, without different disks for different languages.

I certainly don't want to start a "RH vs. Debian" thread, but I've
recently done some work on the RH installation floppies, and the support
for French provided in their floppies is *very* incomplete (~ 40% of the
messages are translated, and many screens display a mixture of English &
French if you selected French in the 1st screen). They use gettext for
their translation work. Gettext's .mo files can be easily shrunk to 25% of
their original size with 'gzip -9'. (But, yes, the space on the boot
floppy still remains limited)

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -