Re: Slink Base Install RANT

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 09:06:49PM -0500, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> >    Pann> *** GET RID OF THE GODDAMN BLANK LINES IN THE MODULE
> >    Pann> DESCRIPTIONS!  ***
> >
> >Agreed. This is actually a bug in the modconf package; all the module
> >descriptions are in /usr/lib/module_help/descr.gz -- whichever modules
> >don't have descriptions in there, don't get described in the boot
> >disks' modconf run.
> >
> >There is an override -- extra descriptions can be put into the file
> >scripts/drivers/descr.additional in the boot-floppies source package.
> >
> >Perhaps you could volunteer to fill out the information that is
> >lacking in /usr/lib/module_help/descr.gz and submit a patch to the
> >modconf maintainer?
>
> Okay, but in what format?  I couldn't find any module descriptions in
> /usr/lib/module_help/descr.gz to use as examples.

Have a look at /usr/lib/module_help/eval_C . That's where the
module names are.

> And scripts/drivers/descr.additional in the boot-floppies sources is a
> zero length file.

Look at modconf sources, not boot-floppies.

> How about supplying examples for both files?

In eval_C the descriptions are something like:

summary_pcnet32="AMD PCnet32 Ethernet card"
summary_ppa="IOMEGA ZIP on parallel port (PPA3 Parallel Port Adapter)"
summary_ppp="Serial Point-to-Point Protocol networking"
summary_psaux="PS/2 Mouse driver"

that is:
summary_<module filename, without the .o>="<description, less than 50 chars>"

In descr.* it is:

Module: sbpcd
 sbpcd sbpcd=0x230,1

    IO address, e.g. 0x230

    CD-ROM interface type: 0 ... LaserMate
                           1 ... SoundBlaster
                           2 ... SoundScape
                           3 ... Teac16bit

   See Documentation/cdrom/sbpcd for more details.

or

Module: tulip
NoParams:
 tulip

That's:

Module: <module name>
 module-name params

   parameter description... (less than 15 lines)

or

Module: <module name>
NoParams:
 module-name