Re: sparc hardware added to boot-floppies Installation Manual

Steve Dunham wrote:
> Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
>
> > On 03 Feb 1999 13:07:42 -0500, Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> said:
> > > There will not be a sparc64 release of Debian for a long time _but_
> > > the "sparc" Debian runs just fine on an Ultra as long as you're
> > > using a 64-bit kernel.  The sparc64 kernel does sparc "emulation" -
> > > essentially, it can run 32-bit binaries, and handles the 32-bit
> > > syscalls appropriately.  This is how the UltraPenguin distribution
> > > works.
>
> > So just replace the kernel?  Are we shipping a Sparc 64-bit kernel
> > with the Installation Manual?  What do I tell people running SUN4u in
> > the Installation Manual?
>
> You'll need to talk to Eric about this too.  I believe that he is
> working on a unified tftpboot image.  (One tftpboot image with both
> kernels for any system.)

I'm willing to distribute one tftpboot image for 2.0.35 kernel (as already
done) and another with 2.2.x for both sparc32 & ultra.
The former is built using piggypack and the latter using tilo.
No objections ?

> I'll have to see what he plans to do about kernel and module
> installation.  I'm assuming that we would have seperate rescue and
> driver disks for the Ultra.

3 sets in fact: one for 2.0.35, another for 2.2.x-sparc32 and the latter for
2.2.x-ultra.
BTW, I need to find a naming scheme to be able to read the right image at
installation time in case they'll go to the same directory (especially for
CDROM & NFS access methods).

I'm thinking about the following naming convention:

  resc1440.bin, drv1440.bin for the standard installation (2.0.35 kernel)
  resc1440-2.2.x.bin & drv1440-2.2.x.bin for alternate 2.2.x kernel (sparc32)
  resc1440-2.2.x-sun4u.bin & drv1440-2.2.x-sun4u.bin for ultra workstations.

I could even implement a generic method to search for these images:
- firstly, look for resc1440-KVER-MACH.bin
- then look for resc1440-MACH.bin if not found
- then resc1440-KVER.bin
- and fallback to resc1440.bin is none of the above files were found.

KVER=x.y.z
MACH=sun4u for ultras.

In this way, different kernels could be put in one set of bootdisks for
subarchitectures (using the MACH field).  And different kernel revisions
could be distributed as well.

Any comments ?

Regards.